The personnel at Applied Engineering have been involved with a wide variety of mechanical and electrical systems over the years. As such, we have developed an expertise in evaluating project requirements, reviewing technology that may be applicable, and efficiently designing the optimum system for the client. In many cases, we have been able to save significant capital or operating costs for our clients through the use of innovative system design.
Applied utilizes computer-aided engineering to facilitate and optimize many of the design aspects involved with mechanical and electrical systems. We make significant use of computer modeling programs to assist with the optimization of fan, pump, duct, and pipe sizing. Utilizing spreadsheets we have custom developed, we are better able to prepare estimated plant operating cost and life cycle cost analyses. We utilize software to perform finite element pipe stress analysis in the event that high pressure, high temperature fluids, or gases are involved in the project design, and we also utilize sophisticated electrical engineering software modeling programs to prepare coordination, short circuit, and arc flash analyses.
Applied Engineering Services has designed a number of projects for the health care industry, ranging from equipment replacement jobs to building renovations and additions. These projects include:
- Assessment of clinics and reconciliation of Indiana State Department of Health requirements
- Renovation of Emergency Department and Radiology Room for a county hospital
- Design of a 110,000-square-foot expansion and renovation of a critical access hospital
- Renovation and expansion of a dialysis unit
- Study of energy savings opportunities associated with utility systems for a hospital
- Build-out and renovation for a Cardiac Rehabilitation department
- Evaluation of the existing condition and potential future growth for a hospital’s major mechanical systems for use in a five-year capital equipment plan and master plan
- Hospital air handling unit replacements
- Cystoscopy room renovation
- Regional hospital surgery suite HVAC study
- Design of mechanical and electrical systems for a new 9,000-square-foot imaging center
- Professional commissioning services for multiple hospital projects, including a major hospital replacement project
- Installation of new CT scanners, linear accelerators, MRIs and a simulator room
Applied Engineering Services understands that the engineered design of the mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems must be flexible in order to meet current and future needs in an energy-efficient and cost-effective manner. Our designs incorporate such factors as life cycle cost, energy efficiency, redundancy and ease of maintenance. Through activities in ASHE and ASHRAE, Applied stays current in issues involving IAQ, infection and disease control. At Applied Engineering Services, we are continuously upgrading our knowledge in order to be on the leading edge in health care facilities design.